Modern Medical Acupuncture, also known as Dry Needling or Western Acupuncture, is specifically used for the treatment of muscle and joint pain.
The needles are gently inserted into muscle trigger points – the tender nodules or knots within your muscle. Modern Medical Acupuncture is thought to work in a number of different ways, including by:
- Increasing blood flow locally to the inserted needle.
- Decreasing muscle tension.
- Decreasing substance p, a neurotransmitter associated with
inflammation and the pain process.
- Increasing the release of endorphins that block pain signals.
- Modulating pain, both at a spinal cord level and within the brain.
Modern Medical Acupuncture is particularly effective when used in conjunction with Osteopathy or Sports Massage.