Manual lymphatic drainage (MLD) is a very gentle, powerful, relaxing and soothing massage which works with your lymphatic system to encourage the body’s natural healing abilities. Clients often fall asleep during a treatment as its so relaxing.
Some of the many benefits may be:
- Reduces tiredness
- Reduces cellulite
- Reduces stress
- Reduces sinusitis
- Reduces fluid retention which may or may not be linked to pregnancy
- Strengthens your immune system
- Aids the removal of toxins from your system
- Reduces pain – whether from headaches, sprains, sports injuries, etc.
- Helps alleviate digestive disorders
- Aids reduction of swelling and puffiness in tissues
- Manages lymphodema which is often the result of cancer or its treatment
- Beneficial before and after surgery to minimise scar formation and tissue congestion
This treatment is often suggested by surgeons as part of the recovery process post-surgery.
A very light pressure is applied using a rhythmic motion to encourage the lymphatic fluid to move back into the lymph nodes, helping to reduce swelling and reducing tissue congestion. The lymphatic system is very superficial so only a very light pressure should be applied to perform the treatment effectively.